That’s what my plan is. Over the decades, I’ve accumulated scores of projects. I have most of the supplies to complete them all but never had the time. So this year, I prayed a short & sweet New Year’s Prayer.
“God, you own time. You can hold it back or speed it up. Right now, I’m pretty sure it’s shortened. … You said unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. Well, I’m not asking for more time, I’d just like enough time to finish. Please let me have just enough time to finish everything. Thank you. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
I realize “everything” is quite expansive. And I’m ok if “Everything” might not include all my scores of projects. But I’m confident that this will be the Year of Finishing. Woohoo! Yes!! I want to actually finish things, especially the old things.
The other day I found this cross stitch while rummaging in my closet. It was started around 1994 from a kit by Candamar Designs. It must have been a popular design because Teacup Stack is still being sold.
I made slight changes to the design, including some color changes. One change was a mistake, using a thread much too red to make berries. The teacup looked too much like a Christmas teacup.
So a couple days ago I cut out the colors I didn’t want and added new. I’m really liking the colors so far.
I’m not sure how I’ll finish it. I probably won’t stitch the pitcher or creamer on top and bottom. The teacups look balanced as they are but the pitcher seems much too unrealistic. I do want to add some words around the border though, something about “my cup runneth over” and maybe a quote about service to others if I can find a good one.
Thank you for your patience while I was away. I’ve missed posting but will catch up. Keeping current with this blog is part of my commitment to Finishing! That’s a happy thought indeed.
I’m packing today and I’ll see my daughter and her husband soon! In Tokyo!
Despite all the trip preparation, I still fit in crafting time. My granddaughter had her heart set on a “Princess cone hat” so here is the hat I made for her to wear with her princess costume this year. We worked with the materials on hand… a poster board cone, pink acrylic paint, plastic gems and pearls, and an antique silk handkerchief. The ties are made of a multi-stretch fabric, I can’t remember the name right now. It’s the kind of fabric used for bathing suits and worked beautifully for a comfortable fit.
She loved the hat!
Weeks ago, I took a four week e-course called Creatively Made, taught by Jeanne Oliver. What an amazing class! I thank God for Jeanne and her wonderful way of encouraging people to be creative. Each week, participants were treated to at least a dozen videos filled with wise counsel, inspiration and instruction by Jeanne and her guest artists.
I took the course to learn how to use new materials and art technique but what started out as just an educational pursuit ended up life changing. I had no idea that I was missing such a big part of my life by not making time for art and creative pursuits. I will have to explain this life-changing event in another post. In the meantime, I am finishing up some of the projects inspired by that class.
One of the projects was a “Vintage Journal” made from the parts of a vintage book. Altered book projects are new to me. At first I couldn’t bear to tear apart a book. New or old made no difference; destroying any book seems a crime! But once I saw that there were dozens of old books available, some just gathering dust and rotting in used book stores, I didn’t worry as much about using a book for a purpose other than filling my already overflowing bookshelves.
This altered book is constructed different than the one taught in the class. I kept the spine intact and connected to the book covers. To add a text block in the book, I used ribbons to tie in the pages, 3-ring-binder style.
My paternal Grandfather was a preacher of Pennsylvania Dutch and German heritage so this particular book is a lovely tribute to him. Alas, I can’t read German so I’m saving the pages and hoping to get some of them interpreted so I can incorporate them into the book.
The original book pages were stapled and glued into the spine so they were pulled out. I cut a keyhole-shape in the front cover. To finish the edge, I used 1/4″ silver foil tape and then painted it with gold acrylic paint.
Inside the spine, I glued two strips of lace through which was threaded ribbon to tie in the pages. I also added a brown silk ribbon at the top to reinforce the thread-bare blue ribbon original to the book.
I am very happy with how this turned out. It looks as old as I wanted it to. The book was published in 1884 and I wanted to preserve the stark elegance of it but still make it mine. I’m looking forward to adding small sketches, paintings and writings to the pages.